These baked mushrooms are a perfect combination of crunchy inside and soft, cheesy outside.
Baked Mushrooms with French Onion Topping
- 450 g large fresh mushrooms
- 2¼ tablespoons butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 x 40g packet French onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- 3 - 4 grinds black pepper
- 3 slices Swiss cheese, each slice cut into 4 squares
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Gently clean mushrooms by wiping them with damp paper towels. Remove stems from 12 mushrooms; set aside caps. Finely chop mushroom stems and remaining whole mushrooms.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter; cook onion 3 minutes, or just until soft. Stir in chopped mushrooms, onion soup mix, and water and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and add bread crumbs and black pepper; mix well.
- Using a teaspoon, stuff mushroom caps with stuffing mixture. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven, top each with a piece of cheese, and return to oven 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are heated through. Serve immediately.