Chinese Style Braised Peanuts
This tasty snack takes nothing more than placing all the ingredients into a pot and allowing them simmer for a few hours. The peanuts are braised in soy, star anise, and a few more to create a snack with a lovely addictive flavour.
- 750 g raw peanuts
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 dried orange peel pieces (or 1 fresh orange peel)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 dried chillies
- 50 g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot with eight cups of water. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down so that the braising liquid is just simmering. Add some water while cooking if necessary. Cook for around two and a half hours.
- Remove the peanuts from the heat and place in another container. Allow the peanuts to cool before storing in the refrigerator.