Fried Mozzarella Balls
Bite-size balls of gooey cheese wrapped in panko crumbs are an appetiser nobody can go past.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko or plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 450 g bocconcini (bite-size fresh mozzarella balls)
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- basic tomato pasta sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Place flour in a bowl. In another bowl, beat eggs. In a third bowl, combine panko with thyme. Season each with salt and pepper.
- Working with 2 bocconcini at a time, dredge in flour, shaking off excess, coat in egg, and roll in breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- In a small saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high until pinch of breadcrumbs sizzles and floats to the top when added.
- Fry bocconcini, 4 at a time, until golden brown, turning occasionally, 2 minutes per batch.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer balls to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- Keep warm in oven and repeat with remaining bocconcini.
- Serve with tomato pasta sauce for dipping.