Malidzano is a traditional Macedonian cream salad made from eggplants, feta cheese, walnuts and spices. It derives its name from the Italian word for eggplant, melanzane . Malidzano is usually served as an appetiser along with bread.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup finely ground walnuts
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush eggplants lightly with olive oil, pierce the eggplant skin with a knife, and place them in the oven. Roast until the skins are brown and the eggplant is soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool slightly, peel, and cut into chunks. Set aside in a bowl to drain off some of the liquid.
- Place the eggplant chunks into the container of a food processor, along with the garlic, feta cheese, walnuts, and olive oil. If it doesn't all fit, do this in batches then stir together. Process until well blended with just a few small chunks. The consistency should be thick. Transfer to a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Serve as a side dish or appetiser.