A really full flavoured dish that is great for the family (adjust the chilli, to taste) or for friends. The grilled pork is sweet and lightly spiced and the coconut broth is so delicious.
Pork Skewers with Rice in Coconut Broth
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 1 large pork tenderloin, cut on the diagonal into 1- 1½ cm slices
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- steamed rice and fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- 5 tablespoons date and tamarind chutney
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For coconut broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 18 fresh curry leaves
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, thinly sliced (seeds and membrane removed first)
- knob fresh ginger, peeled, cut into julienne strips
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To marinate the pork
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a large non-metallic bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the pork slices, stir to coat, then leave to marinate while you make the broth. (For a bit more flavour in the pork you can marinate in the fridge overnight)
To make the coconut broth
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds and once the popping slows down, add the curry leaves, onion and capsicum. Season lightly and cook for 6-8 minutes or until soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through, stirring often and adding a splash of water if the garlic sticks. Add the chilli, coconut milk and stock and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, then taste and adjust the salt and add black pepper if necessary.
To cook the pork
- Fire up the BBQ or preheat the grill and place your rack on the upper shelf. Thread the pork onto your skewers so that they lie flat and grill for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Ladle the coconut broth over some steamed rice, top each bowl with 2 pork skewers, then scatter with coriander leaves.