In this dish, shrimp, eggs and spring onions combine to create little fritters that work just as well for dinner as it does for brunch.
Prawn and Spring Onion Fritters
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Fritters
Serves: 2 as a main dish, 4 as an appetizer
- 450 g large prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3-4 spring onions, cut on the diagonal into 2 cm pieces
- oil for frying
- fish sauce, soy sauce, or sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
- Place the prawns in a colander and toss with salt. Rinse under cold water and let drain.
- In a large bowl combine the prawns, eggs, and spring onion.
- In a large skillet or frying pan heat a thin layer of oil over medium-high heat. Heat until the batter immediate sizzles when dropped into the oil.
- Ladle about 2½ tablespoons of batter for each fritter, taking care to make sure that each fritter has at least two prawns and some spring onion. Do not crowd the pan or the fritters will overflow into one another.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, or until the bottom has browned and the fritters have set.
- Carefully flip the fritters and fry until the second side has browned.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter, adding additional oil as necessary.
- Serve on a plate with a small bowl of your desired dipping sauce.