Shrimp tempura is a delicious Japanese classic served as an appetiser, first course, or main dish. These crisply fried Japanese-style shrimp are sure to impress your family and friends.Tempura shrimp is often served on a bowl of rice or hot noodle dishes.
- 12 large shrimp
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup ice water
- vegetable oil, for frying
- flour, for dusting
- Remove heads and shells from shrimp without removing tails.
- De-vein the shrimps. Make two or three incisions on the stomach side of the shrimp to straighten them.
- Lightly press the back of shrimp to straighten. Remove the dirt from the tails of shrimp, using a knife. Dry shrimps on paper towels.
- Beat an egg in a bowl. Add ice water in the bowl.
- Add sifted flour in the bowl and mix lightly.
- Heat the oil to 175°C.
- Lightly flour shrimp.
- Pick the tail and dip shrimp in the tempura batter.
- Immediately deep-fry the shrimp until crisp.