Wasabi Devilled Eggs
Cooled hard-boiled eggs are peeled and halved lengthwise, and the yolks are removed. The yolks are then mashed and mixed with a variety of other ingredients, such as mayonnaise and mustard. Tartar sauce or Worcestershire sauce are also frequently used. Other common flavourings include: diced pickle or pickle relish, salt, ground black pepper, ground cayenne pepper or chipotle chillies, wasabi, turmeric, vinegar, ketchup, green olives, pimentos, poppy-seed, thyme, coriander (cilantro), minced onion, pickle brine, caviar, cream, capers, and sour cream.
- 8 large eggs
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoons wasabi paste
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice-wine vinegar
- 2 large spring onions, minced or very finely sliced
- coarse salt
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped. for garnish
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- pea shoots or sprouts, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Place eggs in a medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover eggs by about 2 cm. Bring to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 13 minutes. Drain, and transfer eggs to ice-water bath until cold.
- Peel eggs, and halve lengthwise. Transfer yolks to a medium bowl, and mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in mayonnaise, wasabi, vinegar, and spring onions. Season with salt. Pipe or spoon filling into whites. Garnish with spring onions and toasted black or white sesame seeds