Green tea ice cream (抹茶アイスクリーム Matcha aisu kurīmu ) or matcha ice (抹茶のアイスクリーム Matcha no aisu kurīmu) is a Japanese ice cream flavour.
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
This flavour is extremely popular in Japan and South Korea, and other parts of East Asia, and almost all ice cream manufacturers produce a version of it. The name matcha comes from a specific type of green tea used in the Japanese tea ceremony. Green tea ice cream is also sold in monaka form. Matcha green tea flavoured ice cream is a perfect dessert to serve after a Japanese-style meal.
Author: The Cook
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3¾ tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream, whipped
- ¾ tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 2¼ tablespoons hot water
- Mix hot water and green tea powder together in a bowl and set aside.
- Lightly whisk egg yolks in a pan. Add sugar in the pan and mix well.
- Gradually add milk in the pan and mix well.
- Put the pan on low heat and heat the mixture, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture is thickened, remove the pan from the heat.
- Soak the bottom of the pan in ice water and cool the mixture.
- Add green tea in the egg mixture and mix well, cooling in ice water.
- Add whipped heavy cream in the mixture and stir gently.
- Pour the mixture in an ice cream maker and freeze, following instructions of the ice cream maker. Or, pour the mixture in a container and freeze, stirring the ice cream a few times.