Onsen Tamago Salad with Silken Tofu
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Eggs
- 1 box silken tofu
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon potato starch (or cornflour)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons bonito flakes (katsuobushi)
- 2½ tablespoons mirin
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons grated ginger
- Drain and wrap the tofu in paper towel. This will remove excess water. Cut into quarters and set aside.
- In a small-medium size pot, add 4 cups of water and bring to boil. When the water is boiling, turn off the heat and move the pot to a cool surface.
- Mix the potato starch with 1 tablespoon water, add to the pot and stir well.
- Gently put the eggs in the pot, cover and set the timer for 8 minutes.
- In four separate bowls, put arugula at the bottom and top with silken tofu.
- Make the tsuyu by combining soy, mirin, bonito flakes and sake. Microwave for a minute and set aside.
- When the eggs are done cooking, carefully transfer them in a bowl of cold water and let cool for a minute.
- Very gently break each eggs in a small bowl, then lay on top of each piece of tofu. This prevents the eggs from sliding to the bottom when breaking them right on top of the tofu.
- Add spring onions and ginger and finish by pouring a little tsuyu on top. Serve immediately.