Tamarind Chutney - Imli Ki Chutney
This tangy chutney can be used as a dip or stir-in sauce for numerous snacks (an example being the Trinidadian Aloo pie).
- 200 g tamarind, remove seed
- 100 g dates, pitted
- 150 g jaggery
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roast and grind coarsely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- red chilli powder, to taste
- Put the tamarind, dates, jaggery and water in a saucepan and cook on a medium heat till the dates and tamarind are soft.
- Turn off heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Use a food processor or hand blender to blend mixture together into a smooth sauce.
- Put sauce back into the saucepan and onto a medium heat and add remaining spice ingredients.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and turn off.
- Allow to cool, then chill and serve.