Kiri Aluwa - Sri Lankan Milk Toffee
This Sri Lankan toffee has a soft bite, screams of caramelised milk to tantalise your taste-buds, and gives you the crunch of cashew nuts in every bite. Simply delicious!
Author: The Cook
Cuisine: Sri Lankan
Recipe type: Confectionery
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 x 395 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 30 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 cardamom pods (seeds crushed)
- 50 g unsalted cashews, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place ½ cup water and the caster sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, then stir in the condensed milk and butter.
- Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until the mixture is light golden and comes away from the side of the pan.
- Stir in crushed cardamom, nuts and vanilla extract. Cool, then spread evenly into a greased and lined small loaf pan. (You can smooth the top with an oiled spatula)
- Using a knife, score top of mixture into 12 squares and set aside for 1 hour or until firm. Cut into 12 squares. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Calories: 2002 Fat: 65g Saturated fat: 31g Unsaturated fat: 30g Trans fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 345g Sugar: 330g Sodium: 265mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 24g Cholesterol: 132mg