Panang curry takes it name from the city island off the West coast of peninsular Malaysia, Penang, or Pulau Pinang in Malay. This type of curry is richer, sweeter, and creamier than the more herbal Thai red curry or green curry, making it very popular.
Phanaeng curry, panang curry, or penang curry, is a type of Thai curry that is generally milder than other Thai curries. It traditionally includes dried chilli peppers, galangal, lemongrass, coriander root, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, shrimp paste and salt, and sometimes also shallots and peanuts. A popular phanaeng curry dish is beef phanaeng, which is a dish based on beef in a curry sauce. The traditional dish contains beef cut in thin strips, kaffir lime leaves, coconut milk, phanaeng curry paste, palm sugar and fish sauce. The dish typically contains thick coconut milk and will have very little other liquids added. For vegetarians, tofu can be used in place of beef.
- 500 g beef, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar (or substitute with white sugar)
- 3 tablespoons red chilli paste (you can get this in most Asian grocery stores, or easily online)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 - 6 lime leaves, cut into julienne strips
- 2 - 3 red Thai chillies, cut into strips on the diagonal
- 1 cup water
- Heat the coconut cream in a pot until it starts to separate (the fat starts to separate from the milk). Do this over medium heat and stir constantly as it comes to temperature, as it can burn.
- Once the coconut milk separates, add in the chilli paste and stir it to combine. Once the chilli paste is hot and fragrant, add in the beef and the water and all remaining ingredients except for the lime leaves
- Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until the beef is cooked through and the sauce has reached a desired consistency (if it’s too thin, boil for a few minutes more).
- Taste for seasoning and add more fish sauce or sugar if needed and then transfer to a bowl for serving. Eat with steamed jasmine rice as a part of a Thai style dinner.