An old-fashion style of spicy sauce to accompany deep-fried fish, omelettes, soups, vegetables or plain rice.
Nam Prik Kapi – Spicy Dried Shrimp Sauce
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 fresh red chillies
- 2 whole coriander plants, finely chopped (keep some leaves separate, for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp, ground
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons boiled water
- Wrap shrimp paste in aluminium foil. Dry fry on each side for several minutes. Remove and discard foil.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound shrimp paste with garlic, 4 chillies, coriander roots and stems, and the dried ground shrimp. Add the final chilli. Pound lightly so it is slightly bruised but not mushy.
- Place in a serving bowl. Stir in lemon juice juice, sugar and boiling water. Taste to see of extra sugar or lemon juice is needed. Serve garnished with the reserved chopped coriander leaves.