Ayam Percik - Grilled Chicken in Coconut Sauce
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Chicken
- 4 chicken Marylands
- 6 cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 red chillies, de-seeded (leave in the seeds or add more chillies if more spiciness is desired)
- 3 Asian shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
For coconut sauce
- 5 Asian shallots
- 2 fresh red chillies, de-seeded
- 3 cm knob fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- Make cuts in skin and meat of chicken. Set aside.
- Grind marinade ingredients into a paste and rub into chicken. Grill on rack under high heat (or on a BBQ) until the skin is charred in places, turn and repeat on other side.
- While this is happening make the sauce: Chop the spice paste ingredients and blend finely.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry the spice paste for 3 - 4 minutes until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until reduced by half.
- Season with salt and cook for 5 - 7 minutes until sauce thickens.
- To complete the dish: Coat each piece of grilled chicken in the sauce and then finish cooking by roasting at 250°C for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Baste a few times with more sauce as it cooks or bring remaining sauce to simmer in pot and serve alongside chicken when cooked.