BBQ Brussels Sprouts with Whole Grain Mustard
This has a very basic mustard sauce, and could easily be adapted. A touch of honey would be lovely with it, or perhaps some crushed garlic.
- 500g Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- also needed are bamboo skewers
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the sprouts (i.e. cook them in the boiling water) for 3-4 minutes. Remove sprouts from the boiling water and rinse with cold water (or plunge into an ice bath).
- Remove sprouts from cold water and pat dry. Trim the bottom stems of the sprouts, and remove the outer leaves. Mix together the mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the Brussels Sprouts in the mustard sauce. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Once sprouts have marinated, prepare them for barbecuing. Skewer sprouts, placing 3-4 sprouts on each skewer. (Note: Since the sprouts aren’t cooked all the way through yet, they are a bit tough to skewer. You can also place the sprouts directly on the BBQ without a skewer, if they are large enough to not slip through the grate.)
- When the barbecue is nice and hot, place the skewered sprouts on the grill. BBQ for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until the sprouts are nicely charred on all sides. When ready, remove the sprouts from the grill and toss with a bit more mustard sauce.