Ginger Shortbread Stars
These shortbread treats have an added burst of flavour with crystallised ginger.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Biscuits & Cookies
- 350 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200 g sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 455 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 g finely chopped crystallised ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar on medium-low speed just until they are combined. (Do not whip it!)
- Add the vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons water and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together.
- Add the ginger, then dump onto a surface generously dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough until 8 mm thick and stamp out stars using a biscuit cutter.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased baking tray and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.