A great way to use up those over-ripened bananas is in this moist banana cake. Add a glaze of maple syrup and cream to create a treat that is hard to resist.
Banana Cake with Creamy Maple Glaze
- 200 g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 400 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled
- 200 ml maple syrup
- 2½ tablespoons milk (if required)
- 150 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 200 ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Lghtly grease a 23 cm springform cake tin with butter. Add a tablespoon of flour to the cake tin and swirl until the base and sides are coated with flour. Shake out any excess flour.
- Blitz the bananas in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the maple syrup to the bananas and blend to a smooth paste. if necessary pour in up to 2½ tablespoons of milk and blend again to obtain a smoother consistency, .
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until each egg is fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the baking powder, flour, banana purée and ¾ of the pecan nuts to the bowl. Gently fold the mixture together until just combined.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin. Bang the base of the tin carefully against the work surface a couple of times to settle the mixture, then sprinkle the remaining chopped pecan nuts over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Set the cake aside to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, bring the cream and remaining maple syrup to the boil in a saucepan. Continue to boil for 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly, then set aside until completely cooled.
- Before serving, spread the maple-syrup glaze over the top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides slightly. Set aside for 10 minutes, then cut into slices and serve.