This simple sponge cake is not only laced with passionfruit, it is then drizzled in a rich passionfruit syrup for a double dose of tangy sweetness.
Bolo de Maracujá - Brazilian Passionfruit Cake
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Cakes
Serves: Serves 8
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml passionfruit pulp (about 12 passionfruit)
For the passionfruit syrup
- 60 ml passionfruit pulp (about 3 passionfruit)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20 cm round ring cake pan. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks, sugar and butter for 6 minutes or until mixture is pale and fluffy. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and clean the bowl of the electric mixer.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a large bowl, then working in batches, fold through yolk mixture, alternating with passionfruit pulp. Place egg whites in the cleaned bowl of the electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites through passionfruit mixture in 2 batches.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan.
- Meanwhile, to make passionfruit syrup, place passionfruit pulp, sugar and 125 ml water in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until passionfruit mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool completely.
- Turn out cake onto a serving plate and drizzle with passionfruit syrup. Cut and serve.
You will need a 20 cm round ring cake pan for this recipe.