Full of dried fruit with a finishing touch of lemon drizzle, this loaf is a treat to behold. Try serving the loaf slices with whipped cream on the side.
Raisin and Cherry Fruit Loaf
Author: The Cook
Serves: 16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup cooking oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dried cherries (or dried cranberries)
- ½ cup golden raisins (or coarsely chopped dried apricots)
- ½ tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
For the lemon drizzle
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 - 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line a loaf pan with baking paper or grease the bottom and 1cm up the sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in centre of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in dried cherries, raisins, and lemon peel.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight.
- Before serving, prepare the lemon glaze as directed below and drizzle over the loaf.