Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Cakes
Serves: Makes 20 lamingtons
- ⅔ cup plain flour
- ⅓ cup cornflour
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup caster sugar
For raspberry coating
- 1 packet raspberry jelly
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm x 30cm lamington tray with grease-proof paper.
- Sift together the flours and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy and doubled in size. Gently mix through the flour ensuring it is incorporated.
- Pour the butter in slowly and fold carefully through.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 18-20 minutes, until soft and spongy to touch. Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cut sponge into 5 cm cubes.
- Mix raspberry jelly crystals with boiling water, and allow to cool to an egg white like consistency.
- Dip each sponge square into the jelly mixture, coating all sides, before gently rolling in coconut.
- Place in the refrigerator until completely set (approx 2 hours).
- Serve lamingtons as is, or alternatively halve and sandwich together with whipped cream.