Served with a garden salad and fries this delightfully tender marinated chicken is a winner in summer or winter. Make sure to allow it to marinate overnight to get full benefit of the flavours.
- 1.4 kg whole chicken
- 75 g whole black peppercorns
- 85 g cumin seeds
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 185 ml canola oil
- 225 ml red wine vinegar
- 75 g caster sugar
- 35 g cooking salt
- 375 ml dark beer
- Place the peppercorns and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan and shake over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from the heat and cool, then place in a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle and finely grind.
- Place the garlic and oil in a blender and pulse until the garlic is finely chopped.
- Add the vinegar and blend until well combined.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the beer, sugar, salt and the ground spices and stir until dissolved.
- Place the chicken into a deep glass or ceramic dish, pour over the marinade and rub all over to coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Lightly grease a roasting pan and place a wire rack into the pan.
- Place the chicken on the rack, then pour over the marinade. Tightly cover the pan with baking paper, then with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and paper and bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Remove from the oven and stand for at least 15 minutes before carving.