Poulet Yassa - Chicken Yassa
Chicken Yassa, prepared with onions and lemon (known as yassa au poulet), is a speciality from the Casamance region south of Dakar, and is one of the most popular recipes in West Africa. The chicken can be replaced with fish.
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces (1 - 1½ kg)
- 4 - 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 - 3 chilli peppers, minced
- 4 - 5 lemons, juice only
- 1 chicken stock cube (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- ¼ cup peanut or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 - 3 tablespoons oil
- Add all the ingredients except for the oil to a large non-reactive bowl and mix together.
- Refrigerate and marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the chicken pieces, wipe dry, and grill, broil or sauté them until well browned. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium flame. Remove the onions from the marinade and add them to the pot. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until they are well wilted and starting to brown.
- Add the rest of the marinade and the browned chicken pieces to the onions, reduce heat to medium-low heat and simmer until cooked through and tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with rice.