This mustard is so very easy to make and the perfect addition to a ham or corned beef sandwich.
- 175 g yellow mustard seeds
- 175 g black mustard seeds
- 500 ml beer or ale
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- pinch crushed chilli flakes
- 175 ml cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 tablespoon ground mace or nutmeg
- Mix the mustard seeds and beer together in bowl, cover and set aside overnight. (The mustard seeds will soften and soak up most of the beer.)
- Sterilise the jars for the mustard. Wash in very hot water or on the hot cycle of a dishwasher. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Place the jars upside down on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, then blend in a food processor until nearly smooth (you may need to do this is batches).
- Spoon the mustard into the sterilised jars; tap gently to remove all the air bubbles.
This recipe makes about 4 x 250 g jars.