This chilli salt gives a chilli kick when you need it – Definitely not for the faint-hearted ! It is great on your favourite steak or it can be used in place of ordinary salt on just about everything. Be adventurous, but beware, it is addictive!
- 2 tablespoons finely diced fresh red chillies
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup sea salt
- Preheat oven to 120°C.
- Finely dice your chillies.
- Place chillies in a mortar and pestle with sugar, salt and mix thoroughly.
- Mash and grind your chillies, sugar, and salt thoroughly – the salt should turn a nice pinkish colour. (It's a lot easier to pulse it in the blender if you wish)
- Line a shallow baking tray with baking paper and then put your chilli salt onto the tray in a single thin layer.
- Place in oven and cook for about 1.5 hours or until the salt and chillies are dried out.
- Store in a sterilised container (This will keep for quite a few months as the salt is the preserving agent).
For and excellent dip for fresh pineapple, combine 1 tablespoon of your chilli salt with 1 tablespoon sugar.