Comeback sauce (sometimes spelled kumback or cumback) is a dipping sauce for fried foods or as a salad dressing in the cuisine of central Mississippi. Similar to Louisiana Remoulade, the base of the sauce consists of mayonnaise and chilli sauce (or some approximation of that combination). The origin has been credited to The Rotisserie, a Greek restaurant that was located in Jackson, Mississippi.
Several Jackson, Mississippi restaurants serve their own variations of the sauce and many offer bottled comeback sauce.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chilli sauce
- 1½ tablespoons ketchup
- ¾ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Stir all the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Cover and chill 30 minutes before serving.