Homemade salsa picante can be used to spice up tacos or to serve as a table sauce for fries and so much more.
- 550 g ripe red tomatoes
- 2 jalapeño chillies, stems removed
- ½ medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Place tomatoes, jalapeños, onion, and garlic on a rimmed baking tray.
- Grill, turning vegetables often and rotating baking sheet frequently, until tomatoes are blistered with dark spots and flesh is tender (about 5 minutes). Let cool.
- When vegetables are cool enough to handle, peel garlic.
- Puree garlic, tomatoes, jalapeños, onion, water, vinegar, and salt in a blender until almost smooth.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.