Coffee sauce is a culinary sauce that includes coffee in its preparation. It is sometimes prepared using instant coffee. Coffee sauce has been used in American cuisine since at least 1904. Coffee sauce may be sweet or savoury.
Sweet preparations may use sweeteners such as sugar, simple syrup, maple syrup or golden syrup. Condensed or evaporated milk is sometimes used in sweet versions of coffee sauce, and some versions utilize whiskey to add flavour. Additional ingredients utilised in some preparations include eggs and whipped cream.
Sweet uses of the sauce include its use on cakes, chestnuts, flan, ice cream, pancakes, puddings, tortes, soufflés, sweet potatoes and waffles.
Savoury uses of the sauce include its use on salmon and steak.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons white rum or whisky
- Add coffee to sweetened condensed milk. Use a whisk and fold until they are evenly combined.
- Add the white rum or whisky and mix well.