McDonalds Big Mac and Special Sauce
The Big Mac is perhaps the most iconic of the McDonald’s range, and you can reproduce the experience in your own kitchen with this amazingly accurate replica of the Burger and special sauce that helps define the Big Mac. These copycat Big Macs taste just like the originals, only infinitely better! Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. . . right out of your very own kitchen.
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 4 additional bottom halves of hamburger buns
- Big Mac special sauce (see below)
- 2 cups thinly shredded lettuce
- 1 kg premium beef mince, split into 8 patties and grilled/cooked
- 8 - 12 dill pickle slices
- ¼ cup very finely diced white onion
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (use the plastic wrapped pre-sliced cheese)
- ½ cup mayonaisse
- 1½ tablespoons French dressing
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- ¾ tablespoon finely minced white onion
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt (⅛ teaspoon)
- Stir all of the special sauce ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for at least a couple of hours (overnight if possible). Stir occasionally to blend the flavours. This recipe makes about ¾ cup
- Toast the bun halves and keep warm
- Form the beef mince into eight thin patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a skillet with cooking oil and cook patties over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Starting from the bottom: bottom bun, special sauce, sprinkling of finely diced white onion, shredded lettuce, cheese slice, hamburger patty , additional bottom bun, special sauce, a bit more finely diced white onion, shredded lettuce, 2 - 3 dill pickle slices, second hamburger patty, top bun.
Another option is to use Thousand Island Dressing if you are really rushed and don't want to make the special sauce.