Whether served over steaks, roast chicken, or a tasty meatloaf, this versatile mushroom sauce is a winner. The consistency can be altered to suit, as can the number of mushrooms used
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 200 g button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- ½ onion, diced finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons plain flour (more or less depending on desired consistency)
- 1½ cups beef stock, approximately
- Heat butter over medium heat in a saucepan until it foams. Stir in mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Season with salt. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add about ½ cup of beef stock, stirring briskly until incorporated, then pour in the remaining stock and mix thoroughly.
- Season with black pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring often.