- 1¼ cups unsweetened plain soymilk
- ¼ cup agar flakes
- ½ cup raw pine nuts
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes
- 1¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Line a 2 - 3 cup capacity container with 2 layers cheesecloth, allowing cheesecloth to hang over sides (see note). (I think a round cake tin is best, but whatever you want is fine)
- Whisk the soymilk and agar flakes together in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 8 minutes (or until agar dissolves completely and mixture is thick), stirring frequently.
- Blend the pinenuts, oil, lemon juice, wine, garlic, onion flakes, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor for about 5 minutes (or until smooth), scraping down the sides frequently.
- Add the soymilk mixture, and blend 2 minutes more, or until smooth.
- Transfer the cheeze mixture to lined container and smooth the top.
- Fold overhanging cheesecloth over cheese. Refrigerate 1 hour, or until firm. Unwrap, slice, and serve.
Add garnishes to the cheesecloth then roll the cheeze ball around to coat it thoroughly before placing into the tin.
Try adding other ingredients such as cracked black pepper, chopped jalapeño chillies, cumin or caraway seeds, or a dash of smoked paprika.