Fresh sweet cherry puree adds beautiful colour and flavour to these marshmallows that are a welcome addition to a mug of hot chocolate.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Confectionery
- 200g cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons (20g) powdered gelatine
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- Grease a 20 x 30cm shallow slice tin and line with baking paper.
- Process cherries until liquid. Strain into a jug (you'll need ¾ cup of cherry juice). Add gelatine and whisk to combine.
- Place sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until syrup reaches 120°C on a sugar thermometer.
- Pour sugar syrup into the large bowl of a mixer. Add cherry mixture and stir until gelatine has dissolved. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat on high for 10 minutes or until thick. Add vanilla. Beat for 1 minute.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the slice tin, smoothing the top. Set aside for 3 hours or until set.
- Lift set marshmallow out of the slice tin and onto a board. Cut into small, even squares. Coat the marshmallows with icing sugar mixture and serve.
If you don't have a sugar thermometer? Cook syrup, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Drop a little into a glass of cold water – it should form a soft pliable ball when ready.