Pumpkin Seed Brittle
This crunchy, easy-to-make-ahead brittle is sure to please everybody with a sweet tooth. They are great to have around at Xmas time.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Confectionery
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 2¼ tablespoons water
- 1 cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- A candy thermometer
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and then spray with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Bring sugar, corn syrup, and 2¼ tablespoons water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Fit saucepan with thermometer and cook until thermometer registers 143°C (290°F), 3–4 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin seeds, butter, and kosher salt and cook, stirring often, until pale brown and thermometer registers 150°C (305°F), 3–4 minutes.
- Stir in baking soda and cinnamon (mixture will bubble vigorously), then immediately pour caramel onto prepared sheet.
- Using a heatproof spatula, quickly spread out and sprinkle with sea salt; let cool. Break brittle into pieces.
Brittle can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight, layered between sheets of grease-proof baking paper, at room temperature