Coconut Tapioca with Tropical Fruit
This tropical inspired dessert is perfect to finish a Caribbean or Asian themed meal.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 cups whole milk
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup small pearl tapioca (seed tapioca)
- ⅓ cup palm sugar, chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh or canned pineapple chunks
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, coconut milk, and vanilla and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the tapioca, decrease the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the tapioca is softened. (The tapioca will become translucent and will no longer have a white centre when it is fully cooked.)
- Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Transfer the tapioca mixture to a bowl, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until it cools completely, at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- Immediately before serving, fold about half of the diced mango and the lime juice into the tapioca.
- Divide the dessert evenly into clear glasses.
- Fold the remaining mango into the reserved chopped pineapple.
- Spoon the fruit on top of the dessert to cover in an even layer.
- Garnish with a little grated lime zest. Serve immediately.
An alternative topping can be made using lychees and pineapple with finely chopped mint as a garnish.