Orange Vanilla Flan
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Dessert
- 220 g granulated sugar
- 350 ml evaporated milk
- 400g can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 large eggs
- ⅔ cup fresh orange juice
- zest from one orange
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, set over medium-low heat, heat sugar, stirring occasionally with a wooden spatula, for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until fully dissolved and caramel coloured. Quickly pour onto bottom of individual ramekins, swirling around the bottom to coat each one.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In the jar of a blender, or in a mixing bowl stirring energetically with a whisk, combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Pour into prepared ramekins and place them in a large baking dish or roasting pan; fill the roasting pan with hot water to about 2½cm depth. Cover the roasting pan lightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the aluminum foil, and let cool. Remove each ramekin from the water bath. Let the flans cool completely before covering with plastic wrap and placing in the refrigerator. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- When ready to eat, run a small knife around the edge of each flan. Invert dessert plate over ramekin, flip over and shake slightly to release. Leave the ramekin on top of the flan for a minute or so, so all of the caramel sauce can run over the flan. Garnish with orange or mandarin segments if desired.