Homemade ice cream is a special treat, especially when it’s made with lovely fresh berries. With a few ingredients and a little time and you can whip up a batch of deliciously refreshing blackberry ice cream.
Blackberry Ice Cream
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups pure cream (at least 36% fat)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pureed blackberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Combine the milk and sugar in a saucepan and gently warm to just less than scalding.
- While milk warms, put cream in a large bowl and cover with a fine mesh strainer. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Slowly pour the warm milk into the eggs, whisking constantly. Next pour the egg/milk mix back into the saucepan.
- Heat the milk/egg yolk mix over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour through the strainer into the heavy cream.
- Mix in the blackberry puree and the lemon juice.
- Stir until cool over an ice bath. Cover and thoroughly chill in the refrigerator (at least a couple hours.)
- Churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.