Pavlova with Summer Berries
Looks gorgeous, tastes yummy - what more do you need for a summer dessert
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 4 drops natural vanilla essence
For the filling
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 250 ml cream
- rind of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla pod
- 30 g icing sugar
- other seasonal berries to decorate if desired (for extra colour you can also add slices of kiwifruit)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (Fan-forced 130°C).
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking parchment and draw a 23 cm circle.
- Make the meringue in a large clean bowl. Whisk the egg whites and salt into stiff peaks. Slowly add the sugar, a third at a time, whisking well between each addition until the mixture is stiffened and shiny.
- Sprinkle in the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla, fold in gently with a metal spoon.
- Pile the meringue onto the paper circle and make a deep hollow in the centre. Put in the oven and reduce heat to 120°C (Fan-forced 100°C). Cook for 1½ to 2 hours, until pale brown but a little soft in the centre.
- Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and cool completely.
To make the filling
- Whip the cream with vanilla seeds, icing sugar and orange rind until thick. Slice the fruit if necessary.
- Peel the paper off the pavlova and transfer to a plate. Pile on the cream mixture, put the fruit on top, garnish with mint sprigs and serve.