A popular ingredient in Brazilian desserts, Tapioca (sagu) is added to puddings and cake recipes and often consumed with different forms of coconut and condensed milk.
- 3 ⅓ cups milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ vanilla bean, split length-ways, seeds scraped
- 1 cup tapioca pearls
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 x 395 g can condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place milk, butter and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Combine tapioca pearls, coconut milk, shredded coconut and sugar in a medium bowl. Add boiling milk mixture and stir to combine. Cover and rest for 40 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine condensed milk and eggs. Add to tapioca mixture.
- To make the caramel, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until a light brown colour. If it becomes too thick, add a little more water.
- Pour caramel into the base of a 20 cm round ring cake pan medium baking dish. Carefully spoon over the pudding mixture, discarding vanilla bean. Transfer baking dish to a roasting pan and add enough boiling water to pan to come halfway up the cake pan. Cover roasting pan pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Chill for 15 minutes.
- To serve, invert dish onto a rimmed serving plate.
Resting time 40 minutes - Chilling time 15 minutes