The perfect friand for chocolate lovers and a wonderful treat at Easter.
Chocolate Egg Friands
Recipe type: Easter
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons thickened cream
- spray oil for greasing
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup (160g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 cup (100g) hazelnut meal
- 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 180 g butter, melted
- 9 milk chocolate eggs or creme eggs, for decorating
- Combine the dark chocolate and cream in a small microwave safe glass bowl; microwave uncovered on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir. Repeat the process in 30 second intervals until melted. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until thick and able to be piped.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180ºC and lightly grease a 9-hole ½ cup oval friand pan.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and icing sugar mixture into a bowl. Fold in the hazelnut meal, add the egg whites and butter and mix lightly using a fork.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared friand pan holes and bake for 20 - 25 minutes (or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean). Cool in friand pan 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture from step 1 into a piping bag with a fluted nozzle; pipe a chocolate rosette onto each friand and top with a chocolate or creme egg.