Combining the taste of citrus, the texture of cake, and the decadence of chocolate – These friands are a delicious afternoon treat – Try them with our mandarin flavoured whipped cream to get that extra citrus burst.
Mandarin and Chocolate Friands
- 2 mandarins
- 1½ cups pure icing sugar
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ½ cup plain flour
- 25 g dark cooking chocolate, coarsely grated
- 4 egg whites
- 100 g butter melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, extra for dusting
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease 12 friand tins or a medium 12-hole muffin tin.
- Finely grate the rind from the mandarins then peel, removing as much of the pith as possible. Divide into segments and remove any pips. Puree in a small food processor with icing sugar until smooth.
- Combine almond meal, flour, chocolate and grated rind. Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl until very frothy but not stiff. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in mandarin puree, egg whites and butter. Mix together with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Spoon evenly into tins. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Stand for a few mins before removing from tin and cooling on a wire rack.
- When cool, dust with icing sugar and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.