A combination of colourful root vegetables are grated and bound together to create these wonderful latkes. Served with dollops of harissa flavoured sour cream they make a wonderful vegetarian meal or flashy side dish.
Beetroot and Kohlrabi Fritters with Spicy Cream Dressing
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled, grated
- 3 beetroot, peeled, grated
- 2 large carrots, peeled, grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 cup beetroot leaves, finely shredded
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
For spicy sour cream dressing
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Remove excess moisture from the grated vegetables by placing them into a colander and press tightly.
- Transfer to a large bowl with the eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Fill a frying pan ¾ cm deep with the oil and heat over medium heat.
- Using a ½ cup measuring cup, scoop out vegetable mixture and shape into patties, squeezing out excess moisture if necessary.
- Cook, in batches, for 2–3 minutes each side until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, to make the harissa sour cream, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve warm fritters with harrisa flavoured sour cream.