If you’re tired of always roasting or mashing your butternut squash then these fritters are just what you need. Add some of these lovely butternut fritters, fried until crisp and golden, to your next meal.
Author: The Cook
Serves: 12 fritters
- 5 cups grated butternut squash (see notes)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine squash, onion, and egg; mix well.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot.
- Place about ⅓ cup butternut mixture into skillet for each fritter, pressing down lightly with a spatula.
- Cook 4 - 5 minutes per side, or until golden on both sides.
- Place on paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining squash mixture.
First, peel the butternut squash with a vegetable peeler, then use a hand grater or food processor to shred it.