Sundae (also commonly spelled soondae) is a Korean dish made generally by boiling or steaming cow or pig’s intestines that are stuffed with various ingredients.
It is a kind of blood sausage and believed to have been eaten for a long time. The recipes related to sundae can be found in Joseon cookbooks published in 19th century such as “Gyuhap chongseo” and “Siuijeonseo”.
Sundae can be made with seafood such as ojing-eo sundae (오징어 순대 squid sundae) and myeongtae sundae (명태 순대 Alaska pollock sundae).
[toc]The most common type of sundae is made of pig’s intestines stuffed with cellophane noodles (dangmyeon), barley, and pork blood, although some variants also contain perilla leaves, spring onions (pa), fermented soybean paste (doenjang), glutinous rice, kimchi, and soybean sprouts. It is a popular street food in North Korea and South Korea. In fact, there is a neighbourhood called Sundae Town in Sillim-dong that has many restaurants specializing in sundae.
Each variety of sundae follows either the originated region with a different recipe or the wrapping. Gaeseong soondae shows the former case, originating in Kaesong while ojingeo soondae takes its name from the ingredient which wraps sundae filling.
- Abai sundae (아바이 순대), local specialty of Hamgyeong and Pyeongan Province.
- Gaeseong sundae (개성 순대), local specialty of Kaesong
- Jeju sundae (제주 순대), local specialty of Jeju Island
- Byeongcheon sundae (병천 순대), local specialty of Chungcheong Province
- Amppong sundae (암뽕 순대), local specialty of Jeolla Province
- Baegam sundae (백암 순대), local specialty of Yongin, Gyeonggi Province
- Ojingeo sundae (오징어 순대), made with fresh squid. It is a local specialty of Gangwon Province.
- Mareun ojingeo sundae (마른 오징어 순대), made with dried squid. It is a local specialty of Gangwon Province and Gyeonggi Province. It is eaten as a banchan (small side dish) or anju (dishes accompanying alcoholic drinks).
- Myeongtae sundae (명태 순대), made with Alaska pollock. It is a local specialty of Gangwon Province and Hamgyong Province.
- Eogyo sundae (어교 순대), sundae stuffed in brown croaker’s air bladder
Dishes made with Sundae
- Sundaeguk (순대국) – guk, or soup-like dish made with sundae. Sometimes it includes fatty pieces of intestine (gopchang), liver, lungs, bits of cartilage, and meat.
- Sundaebokkeum (순대볶음) – bokkeum or stir-fried dish made with sundae, vegetables and gochujang (chilli pepper condiment)
- Baeksundae (백순대), made by the same ingredients and method with sundae bokkeum, except the inclusion of gochujang