Serve this side as part of an Indian meal for a healthy bit of spice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Fry the cumin, chillies, clove, cinnamon and bay leaf together until the cumin starts to crackle. Tip in the onion, turmeric and a pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes until starting to soften, then add the garlic.
- Continue cooking 4-5 minutes until the onion is soft, then add chickpeas, paprika, black pepper and ground coriander. Give everything a good stir so the chickpeas are well coated in the spices.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tablespoons water. Cook on a medium heat until tomatoes are soft and the sauce is thick and pulpy. Take off the heat and sprinkle on the coriander.