Sopas Do Espírito Santo - Portuguese Holy Ghost Soup
Sopas is also known as Holy Ghost Soup, and was traditionally served for the feast of Pentecost in the islands of the Azores.
- 1.8 kg chuck steak
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 450 g canned diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- mint leaves
- day old French bread stick
- Sauté onion and garlic and remove from heat.
- Cut steak into 5 cm chunks. Brown meat, add bones and other ingredients.
- Bring to a slow boil, lower heat, and simmer for 3-4 hours, or until meat is tender.
- To serve: Place two slices of day old French bread in a bowl, add mint. Spoon broth and meat over bread.