These watermelon preserves from Serbia use only the white rind of the watermelon, and a good slatko should contain whole chunks of fruit so don’t cook this to a mushy consistency.
Slatko Lubenice - Serbian Sweet Watermelon Rind
- 1 kg watermelon rind
- 2 kg sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 sliced lemons
- Place watermelon rind cubes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, remove any scum that rises to the surface. Reduce heat and simmer until rind is al dente. Drain well in a colander.
- Place sugar in the same large saucepan and cover with cold water. Cook syrup over medium-low heat until it is the consistency of thin honey. This may take some time.
- Lower the fruit carefully into the syrup and add the vanilla beans and sliced lemons. Cook gently until the watermelon rind is quite soft ( about 20 minutes). Remove vanilla and lemon.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, making sure rind is covered with syrup.
- Seal with hot, sterilized two-piece lids. Store cooled jars in a cool, dark place.
Makes 6 - 8 x 250ml jars