Roast Duck has always had an association with orange sauce and adds piquancy to the richness of the meat. Our sauce uses marmalade and port wine to make a refreshing tangy and sweet accompaniment.
Portakal Soslu Ördek - Duck in Orange Sauce
- 1 x 2 - 2.25 kg whole duck
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 5 tablespoons orange marmalade (divided - 2 tablespoons for duck, 3 tablespoons for sauce)
- 5 tablespoons of port wine (divided - 2 tablespoons for duck, 3 tablespoons for sauce)
- juice of ½ orange
- juice of ½ lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons duck fat (from roasting rack during cooking)
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Clean the duck thoroughly and pat completely dry (inside and outside) with paper towels (don't rub the duck, pat it dry)
- With a sharp knife, cut through the skin, across the duck, at 5cm intervals, on both the back and breast (similar to the cuts you put in a pork roast to make crackling).
- Combine the salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub over the duck, both inside and outside.
- In a separate bowl, put 2 tablespoons each of port wine and orange marmalade and stir to combine.
- Place the duck on a rack in a roasting dish and brush each side of the duck. (see notes)
- Put roasting dish with duck into the preheated oven. Cook for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 175°C and cook a further 45 minutes.
- Remove roasting dish from the oven. Carefully remove the duck from the rack and spoon out 2 tablespoons of the duck fat into a small bowl.
- After turning the duck (with the help of kitchen tongs) put the roasting rack back into the oven and cook for a further 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the duck to a platter and cover and seal with aluminium foil. Allow to rest for 20 minutes while you make the sauce.
To prepare the sauce
- In a saute pan of appropriate size, put the 2 tablespoons of the fat you removed from the roasting dish, add the crushed garlic and ground coriander. Cook over a low heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and pour in the chicken stock.
- While stirring add the lemon and orange juices and zests and the remaining marmalade.
- Stir until boiling then reduce heat and pour in the 3 tablespoons of port wine.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and pour the sauce through a sieve to remove any solid material.
- Slice or cut the duck as desired and serve with the orange sauce and Chestnut Rice