Lemon zest and poppy seeds add texture and flavour to these luscious golden muffins.
Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 175 g raw caster sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, toasted
- 3 eggs
- 100 g natural yoghurt
- 175 g butter, melted and cooled a little
- Heat oven to 180°C and spray a 12-hole muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin cases.
- Mix the flour, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds together in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs into the yoghurt, then tip this into the dry ingredients with the melted butter.
- Mix together with a wooden spoon then divide between the cases.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (the cakes will still be quite pale on top)
- Cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes then carefully lift onto a wire rack to cool.
See our Muffin Topping recipes if you want to add some icing or topping to your muffins.