Chivito is the name of a sandwich-style national dish in Uruguay, and consists primarily of a thin slice of churrasco beef, with mayonnaise, black or green olives, mozzarella, tomatoes, and commonly also bacon, fried or hard-boiled eggs and ham. It is served in a bun, often with a side of French fries. Other ingredients might be added into the sandwich such as beetroot (red beets), peas, grilled or pan-fried red peppers, and slices of cucumber.
- 4 very large sandwich buns <em>, large ciabatta rolls are good</em>
- 2 beef eye fillet steaks, or 4 thin slices of grilled steak
- 8 pieces bacon
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 to mato slices
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- tomato sauce <em>, ketchup</em>
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon slices until crispy. Set aside on paper towels to cool.
- If using the fillet steaks, drain the excess bacon fat out of the skillet. Slice each fillet in halve crosswise, to make 2 thin steaks <em>(4 total)</em>. Sprinkle with coarse salt, and use a mallet to pound the steaks even thinner.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat until hot, and place steaks on the skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. Remove to paper towels to cool.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Melt the butter in over medium heat, and fry eggs sunny-side up until desired doneness.
- Preheat the grill.
- Assemble sandwiches: Spread inside of buns with ketchup and mayonnaise. Place lettuce slices over bottom half of buns. Top with a slice of beef, 2 bacon slices, a slice of ham, a slice of tomato, and a slice of mozzarella.
- Place sandwiches <em>(uncovered)</em> under the broiler briefly <em>(keeping a close eye on them)</em> to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and add the fried egg over the cheese, then top with the other half of the bun. Serve immediately.