This version of the classic Italian pasta dish features broccoli, shrimp, and lasagna sheets in a cheesy sauce. This dish is quick and easy to make, and sure to be a family favourite.
Prawn and Broccoli Lasagna
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Pasta
Serves: 6 - 8 servings
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodle sheets
- 450 g broccoli (cut into small florets)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground red pepper), or to taste
- 2½ cups milk
- 115 g (1 cup) shredded Monterey Jack cheese (see notes)
- 2½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 450 g cooked medium prawns (shelled and deveined)
- Cook lasagna noodles to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain; place in cold water. Cook broccoli until crisp-tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, spring onions, salt, dry mustard, thyme and cayenne pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat. Add Monterey Jack cheese; stir until melted.
- Heat oven to 175°C. Drain noodles. In ungreased 23 x 20 x 3 cm (3 litre) baking dish, layer ½ cup sauce, 3 noodles, all of the cooked broccoli, ½ cup of the Cheddar cheese and 1 cup sauce. Top with remaining noodles, all of the prawns, 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese, the remaining sauce and the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 175°C. for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Monterey Jack cheese can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets. You might also try cheesemongers at your local markets. If unavailable or cost-prohibitive, substitute with Gouda cheese